GT Race Cars of the 70's and 80's
Unlike my other performance reviews, this one is going to be in parts (As I add cars to the site). From my latest update 19/11/2017 I added the following cars -
BMW 3.0 CSL, BMW 3.2 CSL, BMW 3.5 CSL, Volkswagen Golf GTi Group 2, Zakspeed Ford Capri MK.III Turbo and Zakspeed Ford Mustang GTP Imsa.
The BMW 3.0 CSL commonly known as 'The Batmobile' due to it's extreme rear wing, front air scoop & side intakes. The road going car was a smooth, sleek, cool looking grand tourer, but with the racing extras It became an aggressive looking beast. The standard engine seeing a few changes during it's period of racing, being increased from a 2,986cc up to 3,003cc, then on to 3,153cc/3,196cc & also 3,498cc. (with varying BHP increases along the way). It took part in Group 2, Group 4, Group 5 & various other races.
Next up is the Volkswagen Golf GTi Mk.I Group 2 car, often 'Kamei' related & associated with the Berg Cup hill climbing events. With only a 1,588cc engine & much less bhp than the other cars here today, this looks like a clear loser, but with it's low weight, i'm hoping it will do better than expected.!
The Zakspeed Capri Turbo Group 5, may seem small with a Cosworth racing engine of only 1,426c (Later increased to 1,700cc) ...But having twin turbochargers, it has enormous dollops of power.!
Last but not least, is the Zakspeed Mustang GTP Imsa. If you're expecting a Big Heavy V8 monster, you'll be mistaken. This was fitted with a 4 cylinder 2,124cc Cosworth engine also with turbo.
Car CC BHP Weight 0-60 0-100 SS 1/4m @mph
- BMW 3.0 CSL 3003 200 1270 6.5s 17.7s 15.1s 91
- BMW 3.2 CSL 3196 340 1050 4.1s 9.0s 12.2s 115
- BMW 3.5 CSL Group 2 3498 438 1100 3.7s 7.9s 11.8s 122
- BMW 3.5 CSL Turbo Group 5 3498 750 1100? 3.1s 5.5s 10.4s 143
- Volkswagen Golf GTi Group 2 1588 165 865 6.1s 15.3s 14.3s 97
- Zakspeed Capri Mk.III Group 5 1426 495 895 3.2s 6.8s 11.2s 131
- Zakspeed Capri Mk.III Group 5 1700 700 895 3.0s 5.5s 10.4s 142
- Zakspeed Mustang GTP Imsa 2124 600 803 3.0s 5.8s 10.3s 137